Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantics for Interoperable Systems

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 14:16:42 -0500
On 1/20/2015 12:10 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> Great material, and thanks for sharing in HTML form.    (01)

I use HTML for the originals of all my word processing, except
for slides.  My major reason for converting HTML to PDF (with
OpenOffice or LibreOffice) is that I want to preserve the
formatting and to keep the text and diagrams in sync.    (02)

And I have just added more material and updated some of the old:    (03)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/ikl/index.htm    (04)

> I've combed through RDF in recent times, its dawned on me that
> RDF is indeed a retrospective standard. Basically, it was/is
> about standardizing an aspect of the Web's architecture that
> was in broad use i.e., Link: relations in HTTP and <link/>
> relations in HTML.    (05)

Yes.  In fact, the original semantic networks from the 1960s and
early '70s were essentially variants of RDF.  Even earlier, Peirce
developed "relational graphs" in 1883, which were almost identical
to MCF or RDF (including blank nodes for existential quantifiers).    (06)

In 1897, Peirce discovered that he could represent full FOL in
"existential graphs" just by adding an oval enclosure to negate
the nested graph or subgraph.  For the history, see
http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/semnet.htm    (07)

That article was published in the _Encyclopedia of AI_ in 1992.
But I updated it with material for later developments, including
the semantic web.    (08)

> It just so happened that XML preoccupation (exemplified by RDF/XML
> snafu!) veered everyone away from the obvious i.e., that the notion
> of relations was integral to the Web's fundamental design, exemplified
> by <link/> (in HTML) and Link: (in HTTP) notations for representing
> RDF language triples.    (09)

Yes.  In fact, Guha had been the associate director of Cyc, where he
implemented large parts of CycL in LISP.  In 1995, he moved to Apple,
where he developed MCF as a tiny subset of CycL with LISP notation
and a graphic display form.  He proposed MCF to the W3C, which voted
for an XML-based version.  So Guha and Bray adopted XML.    (010)

Now Guha is working on Schema.org at Google, where they use JSON
(which I call LISP with curly braces).    (011)