[ontolog-forum] Semantics for Interoperable Systems

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "cg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 01:19:48 -0500
A while ago, I posted reports about the IKRIS project on my web site.
Since then, I added more citations and commentary about documents on
related issues from the 1980s to the present.  I also changed the title:    (01)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/ikl/index.htm
    Semantics for Interoperable Systems    (02)

The documents, which are listed in roughly chronological order,
present a narrative of research, applications, and requirements
for interoperable systems.  The documents speak for themselves,
but I added comments to relate them. Following is a summary
of the three sections:    (03)

1. From the Conceptual Schema to the Semantic Web    (04)

The citations begin with work on conceptual schemas for database
systems in the 1980s, some early collaborations between AI and DB
researchers, and influential papers by McCarthy, Minsky, and others.    (05)

To highlight certain issues, I also extracted some diagrams from
the documents.  Figure 1 shows the ANSI-SPARC three-schema approach
for databases (conceptual, internal, and external schemas).    (06)

Figure 2, from a W3C document by Guha and Bray, illustrates the
Metacontent Framework (MCF), which was later renamed RDF.    (07)

Figure 3 is from slides on the DAML project, which Jim Hendler
presented to DARPA management in 2000.    (08)

Figure 4 shows the Semantic Web "layer cakes" in 2000, 2001, and 2005.    (09)

2. The IKRIS Project    (010)

The project for Interoperable Knowledge Representation for Intelligence
Systems (IKRIS) was funded for 18 months in 2005 and 2006.  Its major
achievement was the development of the IKL logic as an extension to
Common Logic.  Subgroups of IKRIS demonstrated the use of IKL for
various applications.  They include representations for contexts,
metalanguage, and semantic interchange among large knowledge based
systems.    (011)

This section consists of subsection 2.1 for some official IKRIS reports
and 2.2 for related research and applications.  It ends with Figure 5 on
approaches to interoperability.  A comparison of Figures 1 and 5 shows
that issues raised in the 1970s and '80s are still major R & D problems.    (012)

3. Later Developments    (013)

The final section, which is still being extended, cites more recent
developments.  Figure 6 on Common Logic comes from a slide I used
in a tutorial.  Pat Hayes also used a copy of that slide in a
tutorial that he presented in the same session.    (014)

Any selection of documents has some point of view.  I state my views
explicitly in two documents cited at the end of this section:
"Future directions for semantic systems" and "Why has AI failed?
And how can it succeed?"    (015)