Re: [ontolog-forum] Barbara Partee on Formal Semantics

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Philip Jackson <philipcjacksonjr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 10:10:14 -0500
John,

To be clear, I also do not subscribe to Chomsky's universal grammar hypothesis. My thesis does not depend on it, nor make any claims about how humans acquire and develop natural language.

The TalaMind approach supports Langacker's discussion of "Floyd broke the glass" (page 214 "Concept, Image, and Symbol: The Cognitive Basis of Grammar").  In creating or processing a Tala sentence corresponding to "Floyd broke the glass", a Tala agent could also process related Tala sentences, such as those discussed by Langacker. Its processing would not be limited to Tala sentences, but could use other representations for meaning and context at the linguistic, archetype, and associative levels of an embodied TalaMind architecture.

Phil