Re: [ontolog-forum] Barbara Partee on Formal Semantics

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Philip Jackson <philipcjacksonjr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 13:08:47 -0500
John,

Thanks very much for these historical notes... I would agree with you that in general, any and every version of logic is 'natural' for applications in which people find it to be useful.

As your note suggests, van Benthem discussed a narrower sense of 'natural logic' in his paper on the history of work on this topic from a Montagovian perspective. He described natural logic as "ubiquitous forms of reasoning that can operate directly on natural language surface form". Later in the paper he observed such systems "may require a fully fledged parse of a sentence."

Also as you predict, van Benthem did not cite Lakoff's 1970 paper on 'natural logic'. The only area of agreement with van Benthem's perspective might be on the very general points Lakoff advocated in 1970, that in a ‘natural logic’ which would account for inferences made in natural language, “the logical forms of sentences are to be represented in terms of phrase structure trees.” Thus, Lakoff in 1970 argued for an approach consistent with Hypothesis II of my thesis.

I can only vaguely recall reading Lakoff's paper in the early 70's... I was reminded of it this summer, when reading MacCartney and Manning's (2008) paper "Modeling Semantic Containment and Exclusion in Natural Language Inference". They cited Lakoff (1970), as well as van Benthem and other authors.

So, whether one takes van Benthem's mathematical perspective, or Lakoff's non-mathematical perspective on natural logic, the topic intersects with my thesis, and seemed worthy of some discussion in a brief postscript.

Full disclosure: As a child, I was fascinated by science fiction novels, which often depended on a scientific invention as the deus ex machina. So I wanted to be a scientist or engineer, and was primarily interested in physics. Since mathematics is the language of science, I found some "Tutortext" books on algebra, geometry, and trigonometry at the local library, and used them to learn the first three years of high school math, the summer before entering high school. So, I would also agree it's valuable for anybody to become a mathematician in their youth. Consistent with Goethe's observation, that it's necessary to learn other languages to get some perspective on life, I studied Latin in high school, though I'm not sure it gave me much perspective on life :)

Phil