Re: [ontolog-forum] Barbara Partee on Formal Semantics

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 15:38:07 -0500
On 12/10/2014 1:15 PM, Simon Spero wrote:
> Floyd broke the glass.    (01)

If you mean that Robert Floyd was a pioneer in the formal definition
of languages, I agree.  His obituary summarizes his contributions:
http://web.stanford.edu/dept/news/pr/01/floydobit117.html    (02)

I also agree that the techniques that Floyd and others pioneered
in computer science preceded the attempts to formalize NLs by
Montague and others.  The comp. sci. methods also had several
important advantages over the attempts to formalize NLs:    (03)

  1. They correctly specified the full syntax and semantics.    (04)

  2. They did not distort, mangle, or corrupt the languages
     they were attempting to specify.    (05)

  3. They have proved to be useful for practical applications.    (06)