Re: [ontolog-forum] Sabotaging a communication system is not a new idea

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2014 11:57:39 -0500
Ed,    (01)

Thanks for digging into the sources:    (02)

> Further research attributes "all models are wrong, but some
> are  useful" to W. Edwards Deming (a famous economist and
> statistician) in 1947!    (03)

By following the references, I found that Deming attributed many
of his ideas to Water Shewhart.  (But there's no mention of that
particular quotation.)    (04)

But by looking up Shewhart on Wikipedia, I found    (05)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_A._Shewhart
> Shewhart... possessed a strong operationalist outlook, largely
> absorbed from the writings of pragmatist philosopher C. I. Lewis,
> and this influenced his statistical practice. In particular, he
> had read Lewis's _Mind and the World Order_ many times.    (06)

Clarence Irving Lewis was teaching logic at UC Berkeley while
Shewhart was a student there.  Lewis later went to teach at Harvard,
where he wrote that book and became chairman of the philosophy dept.    (07)

At Harvard, Lewis read the manuscripts by C. S. Peirce (donated by
his widow in 1914).  While he was chairman, Lewis initiated the
project that produced 8 volumes of Peirce's collected papers.    (08)

Among other things, Shewhart drew a diagram, which Deming called
the Shewhart cycle.  Deming produced variations (sometimes called
called Shewhart-Deming cycles).    (09)

Interesting point:  Those cycles have similarities to the
cognitive cycles based on Peirce and independently rediscovered
by others.  For examples and references, see slides 39 to 48 of    (010)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/talks/micai.pdf    (011)