Re: [ontolog-forum] Sabotaging a communication system is not a new idea

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Barkmeyer, Edward J" <edward.barkmeyer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 17:00:16 +0000
> We need to keep George Box's comment in mind: "All models are bad, some
>models are useful."    (01)

Actually, Box wrote:  Essentially, all models are wrong, but some models are
useful.    (02)

According to Wikipedia, this comes from a book by Box and Norman Draper in
1987, which is very late in both careers.  I previously found a reference for
this aphorism to a George Box monograph in 1979.  And I found that surprising,
since I had heard the aphorism when I was doing traffic models for HUD in the
late 1960s.      (03)

Further research attributes "all models are wrong, but some are useful" to W.
Edwards Deming (a famous economist and statistician) in 1947!  (As it happens,
the project leader on the HUD project was a Ph.D. economist.)  Interestingly,
George Box was also a statistician of note, but primarily in the domain of
control systems, and his career began in the late 1950s.  It is entirely
possible that the aphorism was long known among statisticians before it was
written in a book, and may indeed predate both of these significant persons.
(In any case, the Wikipedia citation is highly unlikely to be the original.)      (04)

I am not really familiar with Deming's work, but according to Wikipedia, one of
Deming's Four Principles of Profound Knowledge (1986?) was "a theory of
knowledge", which presumably makes him a relevant contributor to the genre of
this Forum.    (05)

-Ed    (06)