Re: [ontolog-forum] Why ontologies of emotion are so subjective

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 16:52:17 -0800
I just found a great paper  by Tom Scheff of UCSB
on the various ways investigators have named
emotions, defined their operational measurement
and so on.  The paper is here:
http://qix.sagepub.com/content/early/2014/11/22/10
77800414550462.full.pdf?ijkey=lGXNYyxdIz5Ksor&keyt
ype=finite     (01)

This should be grist for an emotion ontology,
which perhaps would be based on one person's
(Scheff's) opinion, but perhaps the emotion word
vocabulary, which Scheff says is small compared to
other languages, could be used to match people
against theorized classes of emotional behavior.      (02)

I mentioned earlier that the Myers-Briggs
inventory is clearly correlated to vocabulary
preferences, and therefore, with Scheff's emotion
vocabulary spectrum information, perhaps emotions
of the various MB types and styles can be picked
out as well.  I suspect each type uses some unique
configuration of the emotion words based on the
unconscious motivations they have.      (03)

But each person's emotional spectrum must be
similar to their vocabulary use.  Since we know
that each person is unique as a fingerprint, the
emotion words of their vocabulary should also be
unique, or approximately so.      (04)

Comments appreciated.  This raises the old Self
Interest Ontology thought.  If there were an
emotion ontology which could be applied to Q&A
systems, based on vocabulary and knowledge of the
individual user, then each Q&A could be designed
to learn the Self Interest expressions of each
user.  That would make for a more familiar
interaction between user and machine.      (05)

-Rich    (06)

Sincerely,
Rich Cooper
EnglishLogicKernel.com