Re: [ontolog-forum] Motivated Cognition

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Hans Polzer" <hpolzer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 18:04:41 -0400
John,    (01)

Bringing this back to the topic of ontologies and motivated cognition,
groups of these various types (and scope)  also create local frames of
reference, such as calendars, time zones,  units of measure, postal codes,
naming conventions,  passport numbers, policy numbers, and, of course,
languages. When two different groups attempt to interoperate, it's not
enough to agree on language or some standard translation subset between two
or more languages. One must also agree/communicate regarding which frames of
reference are being used by the various parties.     (02)

That probably should include - but rarely does - the ethical and cultural
perspectives of the parties involved. I happen to believe that is one of the
reasons there are so many complaints from both (multiple?) sides of the
political spectrum regarding media bias. The other side of the complaint has
difficulty even seeing any bias because of their ethical/cultural frame of
reference.    (03)

Hans    (04)