Call for Participation : Vocabulary Carnival at
The Vocabulary Carnival at SEMANTiCS 2014 is a
unique opportunity for vocabulary publishers to showcase and share
their work, meet the growing community of vocabulary publishers
and users, and build useful semantic, technical and social links.
What kind of vocabularies do we expect?
• Any kind! For this event we use a very open
definition of what a vocabulary is. Ontologies, classifications,
thesauri, concept and metadata schemes, whatever their format, in
RDF or not, are all welcome.
What is your benefit of submitting?
• attention: make people aware of your work
• feedback: a room full of other vocabulary
creators will guarantee expert feedback
• linking: discover links from your vocabulary to
How to submit your Vocabulary to the Carnival?
1. Make sure your vocabulary is accessible on the
Web through a public URI.
2. Communicate your intention to participate at http://tinyurl.com/vocarnival
by joining and posting your vocabulary link and
writing “See you at the Carnival in Leipzig” or send an email to bernard.vatant@xxxxxxxxxxx, with subject “Vocabulary Carnival”.
3. Register to SEMANTiCS: http://www.semantics.cc/registration/
4. Submissions will be handled on a first come,
first serve basis
Are there any technical requirements?
No, not really. We expect your vocabulary
(terminology, taxonomy, ontology, etc.) to be hosted on the Web.
If it is not Linked Data or uploaded to http://lov.okfn.org you can
get technical help and advise at the conference.
At the SEMANTiCS 2014 Conference:
• Prepare a poster (max format A0) presenting
your vocabulary: description, purpose, history, links to other
vocabularies, datasets using it, link to its publication page ...
• Present your poster in the dedicated space at
• Brace yourself to participate in the Vocabulary
Minute Madness, where every vocabulary will have one minute to
convince of its usefulness and quality. Sporting your vocabulary
colors at this occasion is optional, but will be much appreciated.
• An independent jury will select the best
vocabulary poster and presentation for the coveted position of
SEMANTiCS Vocabulary Carnival Prince.
Vocabulary Carnival and LOV
• If your vocabulary is already recorded at http://lov.okn.org, check its record to see if everything is OK. Ping
the LOV curators if something is missing or inaccurate, or if you
brush up a brand new version for the Carnival. If you think your
vocabulary is LOV-able but not yet recorded, submit its URI at http://lov.okfn.org/dataset/lov/suggest/
• If your vocabulary is not yet meeting the
technical requirements to be included in LOV, and you wish it
could, we can help you to achieve that during the Carnival.
About the Vocabulary Carnival
The Vocabulary Carnival will be hosted by the
SEMANTiCS conference, Sep 4-5 2014, in Leipzig, Germany, in coordination with the
Linked Open Vocabularies project and the support of Mondeca.
More at http://www.semantics.cc/vocarnival
Linked Open Vocabularies http://lov.okfn.org
Contact Bernard Vatant, Senior Consultant,
Mondeca, coordinator of the LOV project. bernard.vatant@xxxxxxxxxxx
Message Archives: http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/
Config Subscr: http://ontolog.cim3.net/mailman/listinfo/ontolog-forum/
Shared Files: http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/
Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/wiki/
To join: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nid1J (01)