Re: [ontolog-forum] Types of Formal (logical) Definitions inontology

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Pat Hayes" <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Cc: andrei rodin <andrei@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "henson" <henson.graves@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 11:05:26 -0500
As Alex notes the axioms for a category can be expressed in FOL. This was first done by W. Lawvere and about 1965. He represented comp as a relation. This is very messy. The most direct way to represent composition is, as Alex notes, is to represent composition as a partial operation in FOL. This operation is not an arbitrary partial operation. The well-formedness condition is decidable. Lawvere calls this Tarski’s hygiene condition for formal systems. If anybody knows a reference for this please let me know. In a FOL system which admits decidable conditions for well-formedness natural deduction conditions work perfectly well.

John S. may recall I have suggested that (a replacement for) CL should be a multi-sorted and allow decidable well-formedness conditions for operations. I encounter this situation frequently in both mathematics and applications to engineering and molecular science.

Lawvere in the late 60s gave FOL axioms for a topos, which can be viewed as an algebraic form of set theory, but provides a very useful generalization that enables dynamic systems to be represented in the extended FOL, which I will call for the moment conditional FOL. Also by using conditional FOL the concept of functorial semantics in category theory can be made copasetic with FOL model theory.

Lawvere’s  Topos axioms, with one exception, can be expressed in a restriction of the conditional FOL to rules. One can  find this in Lambek and Scott’s book. With great care the exception can be eliminated giving a very constructive version of the topos axioms, which yields an implementable, very tractable reasoning system.

These topos axioms serve as a formal ontology for a lot of classical mathematical applications. When one goes to non-classical applications such as quantum theory, one needs generalizations to monoidal categories to provide a suitable ontology, see Abransky.

Category theory is definable in FOL and is, in my opinion, a better universal foundation than set theory, as the interpretation of category primitives in terms of recognition procedures works better in many applications than set theory primitives in terms of collectives. It is much easier to talk about a recognition procedure for an iPad than the collection of iPads.

The conditional FOL provides the logic, the category axioms provide a formal ontology within the logic.

There is more to the story, as Andrei is aware. One generally needs to talk about not just one theory, but multiple theories and their relationships. The enclosed paper was given at PhML-2014.

Henson Graves

Sent: Sunday, July 06, 2014 9:16 AM
Subject: Re: [ontolog-forum] Types of Formal (logical) Definitions inontology

Pat,

category theory is just 2-sorts theory like this

Sorts: ob {- objects-}, ar {- arrows-}.

Functions: dom ar:ob, cod ar:ob, one ob:ar, comp ar ar:ar infix "∘".

And axioms:

dom(g∘f)=dom(f). cod(g∘f)=cod(g).

h∘(g∘f)=(h∘g)∘f.

dom(one(b))=b. cod(one(b))=b.

one(b)∘f=f. g∘one(b)=g.

And we should keep in mind that comp is partial with predicate of definability - Defined(x∘y) =def dom(x)=cod(y).

Alex

On Jun 26, 2014, at 3:56 AM, Alex Shkotin <alex.shkotin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Pat,
>
> You: "All of modern mathematics, for example, can be written in FOL."
> But
> Let me cite from Handbook of Mathematical Logic, J. Barwise (Ed.) N-H PC, 1977,
> V.I,
> p.15 "Last concept (f) [periodic group] is not a FOL concept. Let's see why..."

This is talking about FO *definability*. That is a delicate topic that needs to be understood carefully. But all of modern mathematics can be expressed in set theory, and ZFC is a first-order theory (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zermelo-Fraenkel_set_theory).
(To be fair, some philosophers insist that category theory is not definable in set theory and is a better universal foundation. I have no idea of category theory can be expressed in FOL.)

> p.19 "2.6. There is no set of FOL axioms to describe R [real numbers] isomorphically."

Isomorphically, of course. There is no set of FO axioms to describe the natural numbers isomorphically, never mind the reals. (Goedel's theorem.) But that does not mean that reasoning about these structures cannot be done in FOL. It can. In fact, if any reasoning can be done in a finite time, with finite proofs, then it can be done in FOL. This has been given exact force as Lindstrom's theorem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindstr%C3%B6m's_theorem), which says that ANY logical system which is compact (= proofs are finite) and satisfies the Lowenheim/Skolem property (trickier to characterize, but what it boils down to is that the semantic and syntactic ideas of truth coincide properly) must be representable as a FO theory.

But in any case, FOL is clearly of central importance in modern foundations of mathematics, in a sharp contrast to Aristotelian syllogistic logic.

Pat