Re: [ontolog-forum] Types of Formal (logical) Definitions in ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Barkmeyer, Edward J" <edward.barkmeyer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 19:03:17 +0000

Robert Rovetto wrote:

Now, my concern with this is that since syllogistic logic is not how the mind reasons, and is also very limited (in terms of producing truthful results/consequences, and expressivity, if not other things), why isn't a non-syllogistic-based logic used for ontologies? Why is FOL used?

I have a problem with:  “syllogistic logic is not how the mind reasons”.  It is rather only one of several reasoning mechanisms used by human minds.  We also use induction, analogy, statistical reasoning, and a number of exotic mathematical methods.

The fundamental reasoning mechanism associated with ‘ontologies’ is inference, i.e., syllogistic logic.  We create ontological models of some sets of concerns, precisely because we have tools that implement syllogistic inference reliably, and can thus assist in solving problems of interest that involve those concerns.

The fundamental reasoning mechanism for statistical reasoning is different, and we make different models and use different tools in order to use that approach to solving certain problems.

The fundamental reasoning mechanism for many engineering problems is the Calculus, and we make different models to use that mechanism for appropriate problems.

Mathematicians have long understood inductive reasoning, but formal induction is not statistical and it is not readily supported by tooling.

We are only beginning to have formal models for analogy that yield reliable results.  In a certain sense, that is the main purpose of category theory.

And we have developed a number of hybrid approaches that beget their own models and tools, like fuzzy logics.

The point of all this is to put ontologies and syllogistic logic in their (rightful) place in the panoply of approaches to problem solving that human minds have developed and built tools to support.  Their purpose is to solve problems that can be solved by syllogistic inference, full stop.

It takes many ingredients to make the soup of human consciousness;  we are just growing the leeks.

-Ed