Re: [ontolog-forum] Types of Formal (logical) Definitions in ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Barkmeyer, Edward J" <edward.barkmeyer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 21:16:43 +0000
John makes an important addition to my list.  In addition to defining a concept
as the union of a set of 'subordinate' concepts', it is also possible to define
a 'class' or a 'term' (less clearly a 'concept') as a specific set of named
things.  This latter is also referred to as an "extensional definition".  One
can define 'primary color' as "one of red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo,
violet," without being at all clear about what the distinguishing properties
are.    (01)

(I tend to think that a 'concept' should have a definition that involves
specifying properties, but then "being the color red" and "being John
Malkovich" can be considered properties.)    (02)

-Ed    (03)