Re: [ontolog-forum] Types of Formal (logical) Definitions in ontology

To: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Barkmeyer, Edward J" <edward.barkmeyer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 20:43:51 +0000
Pat,    (01)

Now that you put it that way, I suppose there are two other approaches:    (02)

(3) There is the mathematical approach: axiomatic definition.  You specify a
set of axioms involving Xs and every thing t that satisfies all of those axioms
is an X.  The concept is exactly:  "things that obey this set of axioms,
regardless of what other properties they may have."  This is also called the
"if it walks like a duck" approach.   But the predicates that are used in the
axioms other than is-a-X must also have been previously defined.  (In
mathematics, the best known examples of pure axiomatic definition are
'equivalence relation' and 'ordering relation'.)    (03)

(4) There is the special case of (3) that is "co-definition".  The set of
axioms that defines X uses the undefined symbol Y, but what is happening is the
simultaneous definitions of two kinds of things (X and Y) by their
interrelationships.  (The familiar example in mathematics is 'group' and
'operator'.)    (04)

To start the process, there must somewhere be 'primitive concepts' -- things
you can't formally "define".  In ISO 1087 terms, such things have
'descriptions', by which a human might be able to figure out what you are
talking about, as opposed to 'definitions', which are clear as to how to make
the determination.  In an ontology, the primitive predicates/concepts are the
ones you elect not to define explicitly (via iff) or axiomatically, whether you
could have or not.  When I construct ontologies, I try to at least be aware of
the 'primitive concepts' that it introduces.  Note also that a theory may
intentionally leave some fundamental concepts undefined, so as to enable the
theory to be applied to a variety of things; each application then assumes that
some class of things is a subclass of the fundamental theoretical concept.    (05)

Dictionaries ultimately avoid 'turtles all the way down', either by ultimately
becoming descriptive rather than definitive, or by ultimately becoming circular.    (06)

-Ed    (07)