Re: [ontolog-forum] Requesting Opinions on the Benefits of Predicates as

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Mark H Linehan" <mhl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 10:24:53 -0400

Most English verbs have noun counterparts that mean instances of the verb.  For example:

employs and employment

marries and marriage

wins and winning

signs and signing

               (and gerunds in general)

The nouns (e.g. employment, marriage, …) can be thought of concepts whose extensions contain all the instances of the corresponding verbs, with the roles of those verbs filled by existential quantification.  For example, a law might be written to apply to “each marriage”, meaning each case of “some person marries some (other) person”. These noun concepts may have relationships to other concepts, such as dates, locations and the roles that participate in the nouns. So one could write propositions with respect to individual cases, such as “if personA marries personB in Kansas, …..”  One could also write propositions with respect to the general case “if some marriage is in Kansas, ….”

In the Date-Time Vocabulary effort, we were interested in the relationship of examples like these to time.  In our mapping to CL/IKL, we needed the “that” operator to model these relationships.  I gave examples of how I imagine doing this, in another email.

John Sowa discusses semantic capabilities similar to “that” in some of his work, including historical background.  Other than IKL and Sowa, I am unaware of any other semantic formalism with a “that” operator.  My points are (a) that I wish SBVR had a better formal semantic foundation; and (b) I believe something like “that” is absolutely necessary to effectively capture these aspects of English.

Mark