[ontolog-forum] Psychological substrate for "meaning" behind certain hum

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 15:42:20 -0700

The psychologists and psychiatrists believe that
there is a libidinal symbolic meaning behind the
"goal" as used in football and soccer, for
example.      (01)

http://roman-vodeb.blogspot.com/2012/06/goooal-his
torical-treatment-of-paradigm.html?spref=tw    (02)

I would be more inclined to believe that such
treatment might lead to better understanding of
just what "meaning" is as practiced by experienced
people.      (03)

Defining symbols to have some logical formulation
divorced from the human practice of behaviors.  As
John S keeps saying, the "language games" theories
might be better developed if they had a deeper
psychological meaning as actually practiced by
people.      (04)

So an ontology could, if we wanted to make it so,
relate behaviors and perceptions such as "goal"
more memorably and more usefully than just the
logical propositions about abstract facts.  A
theory of meaning as expressed in language could
be what is needed to make language work for
computers and people both.    (05)

-Rich    (06)

Sincerely,
Rich Cooper