Re: [ontolog-forum] Toward Human-Level AI

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2014 15:25:14 -0400
I came across a book by Bob Kowalski, who makes a strong argument
for model building as a basis for intelligent systems.  The ideas
are further developments of his work on logic-programming systems.    (01)

Kowalski, Robert (2011) Computational Logic and Human Thinking: How
to be Artificially Intelligent, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.    (02)

You can buy it for $44.10 or download an earlier version for free:
http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~rak/papers/LPS%20revision.pdf    (03)

The papers cited below go into more detail about LP methods for
deriving imperative procedures from declarative statements.    (04)

Logic Programming
http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~rak/papers/History.pdf    (05)

Completeness of a Reactive System Language
http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~rak/papers/KELPS%20Completeness.pdf    (06)

Reactive Computing as Model Generation
http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~rak/papers/LPS%20revision.pdf    (07)

See below for excerpts from each of these sources.    (08)

John
_________________________________________________________________________    (09)

 From the book:    (010)

Although the applications of Computational Logic in AI require the
use of mathematical notation, its human applications do not. As a
consequence, I have written the main part of this book informally,
to reach as wide an audience as possible. Because human thinking
is also the subject of study in many other fields, I have drawn upon
related studies in Cognitive Psychology, Linguistics, Philosophy,
Law, Management Science and English Composition.    (011)

In fact, the variant of Computational logic presented in this book
builds not only upon developments of logic in AI, but also upon many
other complementary and competing knowledge representation and problem
solving paradigms. In particular, it incorporates procedural representa-
tions of knowledge from AI and Computing, production systems from AI
and Cognitive Science, and decision analysis from Management Science,
Cognitive Psychology and Philosophy.    (012)

 From the article, History.pdf    (013)

The driving force behind logic programming is the idea that a single
formalism suffices for both logic and computation, and that logic
subsumes computation.    (014)

 From the article, KELP Completeness.pdf    (015)

KELPS is a first-order, sorted language, including a special sort
for time.  In the version of KELPS presented in this paper, we assume
that time is linear and discrete, and that the succession of time
points is represented by the ticks of a logical clock.    (016)

 From the article, LPS revisions.pdf    (017)

In this paper we propose a logic-based framework inspired by artificial
intelligence, but scaled down for practical database and programming
applications.  Computation in the framework is viewed as the task of
generating a sequence of state transitions, with the purpose of making
an agent’s goals all true.    (018)