Re: [ontolog-forum] English number of words/concepts that cannot be comp

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 13:02:21 -0400
I agree with everything John said below.     (01)

But I can't resist elaborating a little.
    Yes, the general terms in a foundation ontology will be underspecified
relative to what may be needed in an application.  The potential problems
will come when two independent domain ontology developers try to represent
domain elements with the same meaning.  Will they match exactly enough to
avoid logical incompatibility?    (02)

    My suspicion is that it will play out to some extent the way people
learn non-native English to communicate in international conferences.  Some
do it very well, and are clear and precise and comprehensible.  Others less
so.    (03)

   The advantage of the computer is that we can look "inside the head" of
the applications and see how any incompatibilities are generated.  That can
enable clarification of the documentation, or refinement of the constraints,
or additions to the foundation ontology.  I expect it will take time, over
multiple applications, to reach a relatively stable situation where local
developers can (if careful) reliably create extensions to the foundation
ontology that will have a high probability of being interpreted exactly as
intended by other users of the FO.   Maybe 50 non-trivial applications?    (04)

   To me this is a purely empirical question, to be determined by how it
works in practice.  As I mentioned, at this point it seems to me to be the
best approach, and therefore worth substantial effort to test.  But I am
prepared to be pleasantly surprised or disappointed by the result.   Over 30
years of laboratory experiments have taught me to be expect anything when
testing a hypothesis.    (05)

   In basic science, it can actually be a delight to be proven wrong; that
means that ones  assumptions were wrong, and therefore we have learned
something.  In engineering it may mean that the system needs some minor
adjustments, or alas, if unsalvageable, all one can say then is, as Edison
did "Well, I've learned one more thing that doesn't work".    (06)

Pat    (07)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA Inc.
cassidy@xxxxxxxxx