Re: [ontolog-forum] Schema.org is not OWL-based (was Re: Toward Human-Le

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Hassan Aït-Kaci <hak@xxxxxxx>
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 14:11:45 -0400
Kingsley,    (01)

These are tactical issues, not strategic.    (02)

KI
> I use OWL examples because OWL exists and is implemented across
> many  tools, including the ones I use.    (03)

I *always* support pragmatic engineering choices to solve whatever
problems the customers may have.  But I also emphasize the need
to work toward better long-term methods for being pragmatic.    (04)

KI
> The world isn't comprised solely of English speakers. In addition,
> use of English and formal logic don't have to be mutually exclusive.    (05)

Absolutely!  I always use the term 'CNL', not 'Controlled English'.
And I also emphasize the need for a language-independent formalism
as both the *logical foundation* and the *interchange format*.    (06)

KI
> but who is using Aristotle's notation (directly) right now in regards
> to merging disparate data sources across the Web, Intranets, and Extranets?    (07)

Three points:    (08)

  1. Aristotle's four sentence patterns are an instantly intelligible
     subset of every CNL.  They require ZERO training to explain them.    (09)

  2. Each one has a direct translation to any formal notation: