Re: [ontolog-forum] axiom

To: "'Pat Hayes'" <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "'[ontolog-forum]'" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Bruce Schuman" <bruceschuman@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 06:30:59 -0700

Dear Pat --

Thank you for your sharp critique.  It was good for me to read it.  You make many points meriting careful reply.  It’s true that “my needle tends to jump grooves” sometimes.

Instead of working through your particular comments, I'll just send one screen shot taken from Eric Temple Bell's "Mathematics: Queen and Servant of Science" -- which was a big influence on me years ago.  This page contains the citation for the Hemann Weyl quote, and also makes some good statements on the nature of variables, where Bell cites “the morass of doubt” he sees at the foundations of mathematics.  My comments about “axioms” were motivated by this kind of doubt.

The complete text of Bell’s book is available in PDF here:  http://originresearch.com/docs/Bell-MathematicsQueenAndServantOfScience.pdf

http://127.0.0.1:8500/origin/filefolders/101785%20Eric%20Temple%20Bell/EricTempleBell.PNG

Bruce Schuman, Santa Barbara