Re: [ontolog-forum] mKR proof of correctness

To: "doug@xxxxxxxxxx" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: KR-language <kr-language@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Richard H. McCullough" <rhm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 06:21:57 -0700
Excellent questions, Doug.

The simple answer to your questions about "foundation" is
that all of the concepts used in the axioms are axiomatic
concepts.  Ayn Rand devotes a whole chapter of "Introduction
to Objectivist Epistemology" to axiomatic concepts, and I  think
 the beginning of  that chapter  is the best _expression_ of what
axiomatic concepts are.  I quote

           Axioms are usually considered to be propositions
           identifying a fundamental, self-evident truth.  But
           explicit propositions as such are not primaries.
           They are made of concepts.  The base of man's
            knowledge -- of all other concepts, all axioms,
            propositions and thought -- consists of axiomatic
            concepts.

            An axiomatic concept is the identification of a
            primary fact of reality, which cannot be analyzed,
            i.e., reduced to other facts or broken into component
            parts.  It is implicit in all facts  and in all knowledge.
            It is the fundamentally given and directly perceived
            or experienced, which requires no proof or explanation,
            but on which all proofs and explanations rest.

The strange thing about axiomatic concepts is that they
are so general and so abstract that they are hard to describe,
and at the same time they are the "foundation" that all our
simpler concepts depend on.  If the axiomatic concepts
were not "true", our simpler concepts would not be "true".

After that good beginning, Rand says a lot of things
about the most general axiomatic concepts:
           Existence, Identity, Consciousness
That's when it gets really hard to understand, and I
personally think that the propositions in the rest
of that chapter are not expressed correctly.  First,
there are meaningful relations between the axiomatic
concepts which are not mentioned.  Second,
I think Rand was intuitively using an axiomatic
concept to name an axiom, and her failure to
explicitly recognize that fact was the main source of
confusion.

This answer is already getting so long, I am going to
post the English versions of the axioms on my website.
I will do that ASAP.  But I will say two more things here.

The basic notation that I use

        proposition name  ::  proposition

was not used by Ayn Rand.  As I said, I think she was
intuitively naming axioms without realizing it.

The March 26 version of the Objectivist Axioms is
my  first attempt to capture the content of Harry Binswanger's
new book, "How We Know".  I'm already beginning to have some
second thoughts about the exact wording.  For example, I said

   Identification :: at view { concept := I do identify od existent done; };

which in English is

    in the view context
    a concept is the result of I identify an existent

1) I am thinking of  changing "identify" to "conceive".
2) That's not what Ayn Rand said.  She used Identification at a different
level of abstraction.  Her famous definition is

     Knowledge is the identification of a fact(s) of reality,
     reached either by perceptual observation or by a process
     of reason based on perceptual observation.

Ignoring the last phrase for now, my mKR translation is

    Identification :: knowledge := I do identify od existent done;

Dick McCullough
Context Knowledge Systems
mKE and the mKR language
mKR/mKE tutorial