Re: [ontolog-forum] Time expressions

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 09:22:57 -0400
In my previous note in this thread, I included a note from Corpora list
that had some useful references on temporal expressions in NL texts.    (01)

I also sent an excerpt from that note to Corpora list with the URL
of the 60-page "Catalog of Temporal Theories" by Pat Hayes.  My note
included Pat's final disclaimer and my summary:    (02)

JFS
> In short, don't expect, imagine, or hope that any particular formulation
> is, will be, or can be the final definitive word on time.    (03)

Adam Kilgarriff replied:
> even intermittently :)    (04)

Adam runs a business that processes large volumes of "Big Data" in NL
form, he has taught "master classes" in lexicography, and he's the
author of the article "I don't believe in word senses":    (05)

    http://www.kilgarriff.co.uk/Publications/1997-K-CHum-believe.pdf    (06)

Observation:  In discussing ontology, we must always distinguish
the kinds of applications.  The requirements for Big Data, airplane
design, buying stuff on Amazon, and answering Jeopardy! questions
are totally different from each other and from the theorem provers
that computer scientists publish papers about.    (07)

I like theorem provers, and I believe they can be useful.  But it's
important to ask when, where, why, how -- and by whom and for whom.    (08)