Re: [ontolog-forum] Time expressions

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Barkmeyer, Edward J" <edward.barkmeyer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 21:51:14 +0000

First, the relevant like for date(Time) and duration values in XML Schema Datatypes is:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#isoformats

The section Duane cited is about doing arithmetic on date time values.

[OMG Date Time Vocabulary (http://www.omg.org/spec/DTV/1.0) offers an alternative approach to date time arithmetic, which is a bit more general at some cost.  The best solution for fixed time intervals is to convert to absolute durations in integer multiples of your favorite fraction of a second, add them, and convert back to a dateTime representation.  But that only works for fixed intervals.  For repeating intervals, the conversion of the start times is a complex function:  Consider a group that meets quarterly at 13:00 local time on the first Monday of the quarter, alternately in New York and Paris.  (ICalendar is designed to support this kind of thing.)]

Second, XML Schema allows decimal fractions of seconds, not “Real” fractions.  As it turns out, there is a problem with this, in that Internet Time is reported in integer multiples of 2^-31 second (roughly 100 picoseconds).  While one can convert those to decimal values, they tend to be very long, and the inverse mapping is only approximate, not 1-to-1.  The point of this cavil is that the binary fractions can be represented exactly in the internal binary forms associated with the REAL and ‘double’ data types of (most) programming and data modeling languages, but the decimal fractions usually cannot be (unless the language has a DECIMAL data type).  Conversely, if your business is Swiss timing for Olympic sports events, you have to carry the decimal value to 100ths of a second (and no more).

We have ten fingers; computers have only two; and sometimes that creates problems.

-Ed