Re: [ontolog-forum] Exchange of notes by Zadeh & Suppes

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Bruce Schuman" <bruceschuman@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 06:53:53 -0700
Yes, an essential point regarding any sort of conceptual description defined
in "a finite number of dimensions" (or factors or aspects or properties or
"columns").  Any model is defined for a purpose, and involves selecting
aspects of something pertinent to that purpose.  So we have to ask, "Why are
THOSE aspects pertinent in this context, and those not?"  It's a matter of
ad hoc choice, and essentially makes the definition stipulative.     (01)

"Reality is continuous (in an undefined but potentially infinite number of
dimensions), and conceptual structures are discrete."  At the very least,
there is a round-off error in any conceptual form at "the lowest level of
decimal place" (where bounded digital measurements intersect with undefined
continuity -- as a kind of "analog-to-digital conversion" issue).  And this
is not a minor point (I actually learned this idea many years ago from
"Conceptual Structures").  It should be foundational and basic to any
ontology.  Any conceptual model or system should be built with conscious
awareness of this point...    (02)

Bruce Schuman
NETWORK NATION: http://networknation.net
SHARED PURPOSE: http://sharedpurpose.net
INTERSPIRIT: http://interspirit.net
(805) 966-9515, PO Box 23346, Santa Barbara CA 93101    (03)