Re: [ontolog-forum] Data, Silos, Interoperability, and Agility

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John Bottoms <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 18:44:50 -0400
David et al,

Last month (Aug.) NIST released a document on taxonomies for Big Data. It is interesting to this discussion in part because it includes an architectural drawing and addresses interfaces to legacy systems.

Further, in describing the basic architecture for Big Data, they briefly discuss their architectural view of analytics and taxonomies.

In looking at taxonomy papers that have been published recently, it is apparent that the definition and use of the term "taxonomy" is malleable. Perhaps that is ok for now because a broad definition may be appropriate for the level of development.

The paper is a MSWord document, NIST Big Data: Definitions and Taxonomies", is at:
http://bigdatawg.nist.gov/_uploadfiles/M0142_v4_2364649822.docx
( http://bigdatawg.nist.gov/_uploadfiles/M0142_v4_2364649822.docx)

-John Bottoms
 FirstStar Systems