Re: [ontolog-forum] Data, Silos, Interoperability, and Agility

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 07:18:37 -0400
On 9/26/13 2:05 AM, John F Sowa wrote:
> KI
>> >Yes, but times have changed.
> No.  Everything you mention was implemented in the 1960s and
> early '70s.  Much more was foreseen -- and published -- by
> people like Alan Turing and Vannevar Bush.    (01)

Times have changed because we now have ubiquitous document and data
networks for the masses. Thus, end-users are now exploiting the core
concepts demonstrated by Vannervar Bush, Ted Nelson, and Doug Englebart
via a myriad of interconnected devices, without even knowing it.    (02)

> KI
>> >The Internet and Web provide infrastructure that didn't exist...
>   Fromhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARPANET
>> >The earliest ideas for a computer network intended to allow general
>> >communications among computer users were formulated by computer scientist
>> >J. C. R. Licklider of Bolt, Beranek and Newman (BBN), in April 1963,
>> >in memoranda discussing his concept for an "Intergalactic Computer Network".
>> >Those ideas contained almost everything that composes the contemporary
>Internet.
> URLs are based on the same conventions as the Unix file system with the
> identifier of the computer that supports each file system at the top.
>
> GML was invented at IBM in 1969, standardized as SGML, and adopted by
> the WWW project at CERN.  But the hypertext ideas were proposed by
> Ted Nelson in 1963 with influence from V. Bush's article of 1945.
> Doug Englebart independently developed related ideas in 1962, which
> he presented in 1968 in "The Mother of All Demos".  See
>
>      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mother_of_All_Demos    (03)

Today, we have a Read-Write dimension to the Web (public or private)
that also leverages the semantic tapestry that RDF based Linked Data
facilitates. This makes a big difference. Construction, publication, and
consumption of data is much easier.    (04)

I am not in any way insinuating that RDF, the World Wide Web, HTTP etc.,
are the progenitors of anything. They are simply contributions to a
broad innovation continuum.    (05)

 From my personal perspective, I see a lot of what Web technology
delivers today as simply being about Unix for the masses scaled to a
Wide Area Network (WAN).    (06)

Regards,    (08)

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO