[ontolog-forum] rRE: Amazon vs. IBM: Big Blue meets match in battle for

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Donald C. Lindsay" <don.lindsay@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 19:49:31 -0700
> Sadly, I come to find that even what's outlined above is contentious to
many in "the Semantic Web" community. > Basically, we end up with this
horrible misconception that without a perfect vocabulary or ontology you
can't
> even start the journey :-(    (01)

I've experienced that strange bias. Whatever the cause of the misconception,
it appears to impede 'doing ontology for the sake of ontology', which
doesn't make much sense put into the context of all the other things we do
for 'it's own sake', nonetheless, 'doing ontology for the sake of ontology'
seems to be freighted with additional baggage. It's not necessary. RDF
provides plenty of constructs  for interfaces.     (02)

In fact, I think most of the time, 'standard' interfaces will find more
traction with customized ontologies than one might think, although, of
course, we don't /really/ know that until we seek to find applications for
our customized ontologies until we are ready to try.    (03)

Don    (04)