Re: [ontolog-forum] Laws: physical and social

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Tara Athan <taraathan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2013 10:00:21 -0400
In this thread, there is a position being defended that it is useful to
consider a concept that includes both physical and social laws. One of
the arguments supporting this position is that there is a continuum of
laws between the physical and the social. This argument would be more
convincing if the missing link were produced: can we give an example of
a law whose consequences are produced by both physical and social means?    (01)

One example I can think of is certain cases of the parenting technique
of "logical consequences", such as a child having to clean up a mess
s/he makes, or repair something that was damaged.    (02)

Such consequences also occur in commerce - if a contractor builds a road
that is substandard, they may be required to repair it at their own
cost. That cost is not set by a court, but is determined by the physical
situation - the nature and extent of the road defects relative to the
specifications.    (03)

In these cases, the natural, physical consequences are inflicted upon
secondary parties, so the social system (parents or legal system)
intervenes to minimize the secondary impact and transfer it back to the
primary actor.    (04)

Certain fields, for example ecological economics, study similar problems
at a macroeconomic level.    (05)

Tara    (06)