[ontolog-forum] Computational Metaphysics

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John Bottoms <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2013 12:47:54 -0400
Is there anything in Computational Semantics or Computational Metaphysics that informs ontology?

Certainly, if the discussion remains within the purview of ontology as links and containers, there is little to be said. However, the "semantics" associated with "computational" and "metaphysics" indicates that it, at the least, deserves an examination.

The primary work appears to be part of object modeling. My interest arose as part of the examination of translation, in the sense of promotion by type or property. I stumbled upon this work by Zalta, who has published a number of papers:
  Principia Metaphysica (Draft)[136 pgs]
    Edward N. Zalta
    Center for the Study of Language and Information
    Stanford University
        http://mally.stanford.edu/principia.pdf

There is also:
        Steps Toward a Computational Metaphysics∗ [12 pgs]
            http://mally.stanford.edu/Papers/computation.pdf

-John Bottoms
 FirstStar Systems
 Concord, MA USA