Re: [ontolog-forum] Spatial Extent of Abstract Entities?

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 11:14:35 +0100
Dear Hans,
I agree we have been largely talking past each other. In particular your use
of the word "conceptual" is unusual in my experience. It seems to me that
you are concerned whether a spatio-temporal extent has features or
properties that enable you to determine it, whereas I am only concerned
whether it actually is a spatio-temporal extent (that is what existence is
actually about).    (01)

So although I agree with everything else you say below, I would say that the
Prime Meridian is a spatio-temporal extent, but one that is socially
constructed. I agree without the social construction it is undistinguished,
though you can go to Greenwich and physically see the man-made mark the
represents that social construction.    (02)

Regards    (03)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 1489 880185
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
Skype: dr.matthew.west
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
https://sites.google.com/site/drmatthewwest/
This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 8 Ennismore Close, Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire,
SG6 2SU.    (04)

You
> [...]
> person is a member or an asset is owned by the organization). I agree that
an
> organization is a social reality (that was also a point I was trying to
make).
> I also agree that it can have spatial extent - but spatial extent that
depends
> on the social reality context within which it is perceived. It has no
inherent
> spatial extent detectable in physical reality, the written charter
agreement
> notwithstanding. Artifacts such as ID cards, RF ID, bar codes,  etc., are
all
> measures taken to make portions of social reality detectable in physical
> space, precisely because it is not detectable otherwise. We have
> interoperability problems among systems representing organizations in part
> because how to represent the spatial extent of said organizations is
> contextual, and establishing agreements usually specify spatial extent in
only
> a few context dimensions at best.
>
> A beach is detectable in physical space. I don't see it as something
abstract,
> but rather as a label for an aggregation of physical sand particles
adjacent
> to a body of water. Whether something is such an aggregation of sand
particles
> can be determined through processing of information from various physical
> sensors (acoustic, spectrometric, etc.).
> Whether the beach is privately owned or allows nude bathing (or any
bathing at
> all) generally cannot. These latter are social reality issues. Without
> consulting human sources about appropriate jurisdictions and where/how
these
> types of restriction might be encoded/represented, there is no way to know
> from physical sensor information only. I could detect whether there are
> bathers or not, and whether they are nude, but that doesn't tell me
whether
> they are allowed or not.
>
> Let's take the another simple example of social reality (I called it
> conceptual reality in the earlier email thread because I reserve the term
> social reality to that subset for which no authoritative information
> source/surrogate exists, i.e., if you have to poll a specific populace,
it's
> social reality), the Prime Meridian. In my view of the world, it has no
> physical reality, no spatial extent. It is purely a conceptual/social
> construct (the long ago social part being the part that led to it going
> through Greenwich, England, as opposed to other possible and equally
arbitrary
> points on the surface of the earth). It cannot be detect by some alien in
> spaceship  approaching the earth with any sensors that might be onboard.
Human