Re: [ontolog-forum] Labeling relations and grover models (merger of twot

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 12:14:21 -0700

Yet another complexity is that relations can be uncertain.  That uncertainty is often described in language.  For example, EHR data contains accounts of uncertain diagnoses very often.  That recorded information in English is highly dependent on the way that the physician uses language.

From a report on EHR use by physicians:

    For the study, researchers from the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, the University of Texas at Austin and the Group Health Research Institute in Seattle interviewed 28 physicians working at the same ambulatory care organization about their perceptions of uncertainty and their EHR use patterns. Specialties represented included primary care, endocrinology, gastroenterology, rheumatology, neurology and podiatry.

    Based on answers received, the researchers divided the physicians into three groups:

    Uncertainty reductionists: Physicians who used EHR information primarily to reduce uncertainty about patients, and gave priority to codified patient information above all else

    Uncertainty absorbers: Physicians who used EHR information as a catalyst for engineering additional dialogue with others involved in the care process, and gave priority to co-created information or data that was "nearly missed during patient-physician encounters

    Uncertainty hybrids: Physicians who placed a high priority on both codified EHR data and the accompanying care process involving colleagues.

I can forward the entire clipping and a reference to the report if anyone is interested.  Contact me offline for that info.

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com