Re: [ontolog-forum] Consensus on labeling of relationships?

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Tom Knorr" <tknorr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 13:07:08 -0700
John,     (01)

Not being online does not mean secrets. It is work in progress (aka, has
bugs, doesn't have a polished appearance and we don't have the server
infrastructure in place for general access other than pilot level).     (02)

There are only ideas of how this could self fund at some time.     (03)

The other problem is we have been correlating data with source references
but not necessarily the approval of all the sources to make it available.
Most of the data can be argued as public common sense data but it appears to
be a big headache waiting on the horizon.    (04)

I agree, there is a huge amount of prior art and I personally don't think a
common sense structure/algorithm is patent-able or should be patented. Some
folks think otherwise.     (05)

The underlying structure of the NeuroCollective data store engine is
extremely simple and can be described in one or two pages. It is the data
and what you do with it that creates the value.     (06)

All I wanted to share is that we built a structure where labeling of
concepts is not hardwired and automatically translates into all languages.
The first relation a concept ID=1234 has, is to the English Language (which
is a concept itself) to give it a name 'table', second might be a relation
to German language 'Tisch' and so on. No rocket science here.     (07)

We added syntactic roles, a synonym translation relation, and then a whole
lot of relations that we would categorize as semantic relations. This seems
to be incredibly flexible to store any kind of data and with a bit of
programming present labels in any kind of language, voice, etc. It will read
a semantic net-let to you in Greek if you need it, even if you searched for
the concept half in German and half in Chinese.    (08)

Tom     (09)

TK
> Concepts themselves
>    a.) have language relations that allow them to be identified in
>        multiple languages, coding systems, even pictures or sound,
>    b.) are itself semantic net-lets.
>
> We can formulate a relation as phrases in the languages selected
> by the user.    (010)

I agree.  That method has been widely used for the past 50+ years
in artificial intelligence and computational linguistics.  I don't
know why the NeuroCollective is being secretive.  But if they're
planning to patent the idea, there is a huge amount of prior art.    (011)