Re: [ontolog-forum] Dennett on the Darwinism of Memes

To: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 17:45:38 -0500
Just for the record, then no more from me on this topic in this thread:    (01)

On May 1, 2013, at 12:01 PM, John F Sowa wrote:    (02)

> Kathy, Pat, Tara, Pavithra, Maxwell, and William,
>

> PH
>> It is quite hard to even get one's head around how big the universe is.
>> A "being" made all this? How? And even if it did, why would such an
>> incredibly large and powerful creature be particularly concerned with us...
>
> Most theists would agree with the first line.  But what do you mean
> by 'being'?  Spinoza and Einstein identified God with nature, which is
> just as big as any other proposal.  Most theists and atheists consider
> "a big being" and "concerned with us" as two separable issues.    (03)

I was reacting primarily to the Christian view of god, which requires one to
believe that the same entity who created the entire universe is also intimately
concerned with human lives and emotions (eg He loves all of us, He sent His
only begotten son to die to save us from sin, etc..) With minor variations,
these ideas are apparently sincerely believed by a clear majority of adult
Americans and a large fraction of the population of Europe.    (04)

Pat    (05)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (06)