Re: [ontolog-forum] Dennett on the Darwinism of Memes

To: "Pavithra" <pavithra_kenjige@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 17:38:09 -0400
On Wed, April 10, 2013 18:04, Pavithra wrote:
> Dr. Pat & Doug,    (01)

> I remember these discussion and decisions about defining  "Words are
> things, just as numbers, patterns and other non-physical
> things are. Spoken or written word tokens are *physical* things ",  in
> these forums in the past.    (02)

> But in general discussions in this forum or other contexts, it is not very
> intuitive.    (03)

As a native English speaker, i found it intuitive.  But for the purposes of
this forum, you can consider "thing" to be jargon with the defined meaning
of the class of whatever can be referred to.    (04)

>  I wish we used the term "word" itself rather then thing.     (05)

Most things are not words.  Was your writing of the email i am responding
to a word?  Was each bite you took in your last meal a word?  Is your
house a word?    (06)

-- doug    (07)

> Thanks,
> Pavithra Kenjige