Re: [ontolog-forum] Why a data model does not an ontology make

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 22:03:44 +0000
John,     (01)

Many of us have said this, over and over again, i.e., that a data model is not
an ontology. Just because one can express a database query in SQL (based on the
relational calculus, with enhancements) does not make the representation the
SQL query works over an ontology. Expressible in logic \= ontology.     (02)

The closest that relational dabases get to having a semantic model is the
conceptual schema, which is a type of conceptual model (modeled in a graphic
Entity-Relation-Attribute language, with cardinality restrictions). Then
typically the conceptual schema is refined to a logical schema, which is turn
is refined to a physical schema, with the "semantics" being reduced at each
stage. At the end, all you typically have is the physical schema, a data
dictionary in English or another natural language which documents what
everything is supposed to mean, and the graphic of the conceptual schema
(hiding in a desk drawer, never typically updated). Similarly, I dare say, for
object models: once the computer program is generated from the OO model, the
model is filed away as a dusty artefact of the  design process. The latter
occurrence doesn't hold of the so-called Model Driven Architecture (MDA)
approach, which says (much like we think in ontological engineering) that the
program should be generated  from the model, and when the model is updated, a
new program should be generated. MDA cannot be fully realized yet, because it
is still very difficult to fully generate programs from  models. So it's more
of an approach with a dream behind it.    (03)

Now the above view does have rare exceptions in the database world: e.g.,
Matthew West's work immediately springs to mind. Similarly, HighFleet (formerly
Ontology Works) tries to bridge the ontology-database connection. Also, of
course deductive databases try to combine logic programming + relational
constructs, though these just focus on the implementational apparatus you would
need for more expressive ontologies, but say nothing in particular about
ontologies.    (04)

On your other topic, many of us do not think the Semantic Web has failed, nor
that the original vision has been vitiated by academic lackeys and hijackers.
Also, decidability is not the bugaboo you make it out to be: it is a useful
formal notion, and indeed enables us to make sense of the range of
expressiveness. For very many real applications, one needs to exceed the formal
expressivity of a description logic: so what? By continually bashing the
Semantic Web, you do a disservice. It would be better if you phrased your often
cogent comments as recommendations for improving the Semantic Web. Just
starting over somehow, maybe by having everyone immediately use Common Logic,
and grafting that onto existing relational databases in the world, is not
really a good approach.     (05)

By the way,    (06)

>    (Forall x:Professor) (CSprofessor(x) iff
>       ((Exists y:CScourse) teaches(x,y))
>       or ((Exists z:CSdepartment) belongsTo(x,z) )    (07)

can be expressed in OWL, with "iff" given the interpretation of "is equivalent
to", i.e., a necessary and sufficient condition.    (08)

Thanks,
Leo    (09)