Re: [ontolog-forum] Why a data model does not an ontology make

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Michael Brunnbauer <brunni@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 23:37:09 +0100

Hello Leo,    (01)

On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 10:03:44PM +0000, Obrst, Leo J. wrote:
> Many of us have said this, over and over again, i.e., that a data model is
>not an ontology.    (02)

I agree. But I have to add that the transition between data model and ontology
is fluent. In practice, you often have to make compromises - for example to
enable better querying or because knowledge and application data cannot be
untied easily.    (03)

When extracting knowledge out of data the shortcut of adopting all or parts
of the data model for the ontology is not to be condemned. You still have the
benefit of querying heterogenous data using only one interface.    (04)

Regards,    (05)

Michael Brunnbauer    (06)

--
++  Michael Brunnbauer