[ontolog-forum] What's the difference between Knowledge and Wisdom ?

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2013 13:38:18 -0500
On 2/8/13 10:03 PM, John F Sowa wrote:
> Gary's list:
>> >G1. I will remember that I didn't make the world, and it doesn't exist to
>> >     make my formal ontology and its taxonomies look good.
>> >G2. Though I will use models boldly to enhance data and information
>understanding,
>> >     I will not be overly impressed by them.
>> >G3. I will never sacrifice reality for elegance without explaining why I
>have done so.
>> >G4. Nor will I give the people who use my ontological models false comfort
>about
>> >     its accuracy. Instead, I will make explicit its assumptions and
>oversights.
>> >G5. I understand (and hope) that if done well my work may eventually have
>significant
>> >     effects on information science, society and its economy, many of them
>beyond
>> >     my comprehension.
> This is the kind of advice that a wise old physician might give to
> a young MD or PhD who is full of "book learning", but lacks the
> clinical experience about how to apply that learning in an emergency.    (01)

The response above triggered the question above. As was the case with
Data and the Datum, there is scant information about how one clearly
distinguishes Knowledge and Wisdom. Hopefully, this opens up an
opportunity for us to iron out some clarity of this very important
matter :-)    (02)

I think the statement above, from John, very much captures the
difference between both of the aforementioned items.    (03)

Regards,    (05)

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software