Re: [ontolog-forum] An Ontologist's Hippocratic Oath>

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Barry Smith <phismith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 16:30:26 -0500
These are suggested principles for such a code which I defended at the 3rd International Conference on Biomedical Ontology in Graz last year:

1. I hereby swear that I will reuse existing ontology content wherever possible
2. I hereby swear that whenever I reuse terms from an existing ontology, I will keep their original source IDs
3. I hereby swear that before releasing an ontology I will aggressively test it in multiple independent real-world applications
4. I hereby swear that before committing a new term and definition to an ontology I will always think first
BS