Re: [ontolog-forum] [Semediawiki-user] New SMW Quick Reference

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Edmon Begoli <ebegoli@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 15:11:42 -0500
George,    (01)

I like UMBEL accessibility (RDF formats and web service end points),
but I am bit concerned about the proposed scope in the words of the a
founder (from UMBEL mailing list)
and its applicability for serious reasoning tasks.
This is in response to a question why no events in UMBEL:    (02)

Well, it may be a serious drawback, but it is on purpose and a
part of the UMBEL design.    (03)

UMBEL was merely designed to be a lightweight subject reference
structure for what Web content "is about".  The selection of the
20 K concepts and use of SKOS was also based on this purpose.    (04)

Thus, there is no intent for UMBEL to be a "comprehensive"
ontology with event and "parts of" vocabulary, among other
possible design choices.    (05)

The overlap with Cyc is maintained to provide a pathway for those
that want more expressiveness.    (06)

Think of UMBEL as a subject topic "router" for the Internet, but
one that also provides reach through to Cyc.  If neither of these
purposes meet your needs, you likely need to look for another
ontology.    (07)

Regards, Mike    (08)