Re: [ontolog-forum] So you want to be a Data Scientist?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Hassan Aït-Kaci" <hassanaitkaci@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 09:15:28 -0800
On 12/29/2012 6:41 AM, John F Sowa wrote:
> That's what happens to academic disciplines that depend on grants
> and contracts.  The academics publish peer-reviewed articles, which
> can only be read and understood by other academics in the same field.
> But when they compete for funding, they have to appeal to executives
> who have no understanding of those publications.  Therefore, they
> resort to meaningless slogans that sound good on the surface.    (01)

Incidentally, while on this topic, I must share with his forum's members
the enlightening keynote presentation made by Jeff Naughton, a leading
DB researcher (http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~naughton/) at ICDE 2010 (the
26th IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering).    (02)

His site has only a pptx version, but here's a pdf version:
http://lazowska.cs.washington.edu/naughtonicde.pdf ... read it, it'll be
worth your while, I guarantee it!    (03)

-hak
--
http://www.hassan-ait-kaci.net/contactme.html    (04)