Re: [ontolog-forum] So you want to be a Data Scientist?

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Hassan Aït-Kaci" <hassanaitkaci@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 08:21:59 -0800
On 12/29/2012 6:41 AM, John F Sowa wrote:
>> >The trouble I see in such publications by influential members of
>> >the W3C is that one particular formalism—DL—is being confused with
>> >the general issue of formal representation and use of ontologies.
> Not only that, OWL's major features are useless.  To prove that their
> algorithms are decidable, they constrain all models to trees.  That
> constraint rules out benzene rings (a huge part of organic chemistry
> and pharmaceuticals).  It also rules out the metal or wood structures
> of buildings, bridges, and airplane wings, which contain linked
> triangles for rigidity.  And forget about electronic devices --
> they all contain*circuits*.
>
> But the size and computational complexity of trees grow
> exponentially with depth.  Most programmers don't understand
> decidability, but they certainly know that exponential algorithms
> don't scale.  Decidability just means finite computing time --
> even though that time may be longer than the age of the universe.    (01)

Indeed - this is what I explain in the paper I cited (Aďt-Kaci, H.,
Description logic vs. order-sorted feature logic. In Proceedings of the
20th International Workshop on Description Logics. Lecture Notes in
Computer Science. Springer-Verlag, 2007.
http://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/Publications/CEUR-WS/Vol-250/paper_2.pdf).    (02)

I quote from that paper, page 5:    (03)

"On the other hand, constraint-propagation rules based on Deductive
Tableau methods such as used in [OWL] or shown in Fig. 1 [...] proceed
bottom-up by building larger and larger constraint sets by completing
them with additional (and often redundant) constraints. In short,
OSF-constraint normalization follows a reductive semantics (it
eliminates constraints) while DL-constraint propagation follows an
inflationary semantics (it introduces constraints). As a result, DL’s
tableau-style reasoning method is expansive - therefore, expensive in
time and space. One can easily see this simply by realizing that each
rule in Fig. 1 builds a larger set S as it keeps adding more constraints
and more variables to S. [...] Finally, it requires that the
constraint-solving process be decidable. By contrast, the OSF
labelled-graph unification-style reasoning method is more efficient both
in time and space. Moreover, it can accommodate semi-decidable - i.e.,
undecidable, though recursively enumerable - constraint-solving."    (04)

I also make this point explicit on slides 69 and 86 of my talk "A
Sorted-Graph Unification Approach to the Semantic Web" -
http://www.hassan-ait-kaci.net/pdf/osf4sw.pdf (keynote pres. @ WI-IAT
2011 - http://wi-iat-2011.org/- see abstract at
http://www.wi-iat-2011.org/ressources/speakers/presKaci.pdf)    (05)

OSF constraint logic not only accommodates multiple inheritance from the
start (by graph *unification* computing the *GLB* of two sorted graphs),
it does so  using scalable modulated sort encoding that yields
quasi-constant time sort (or "concept") intersection, which scale up
with only logarithmic space and time complexity [Hassan Ait-Kaci, Robert
Boyer, Patrick Lincoln, Roger Nasr, "Efficient Implementation of Lattice
Operations," ACM Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems,
11(1), pp. 115–146, January 1989.
(http://www.hassan-ait-kaci.net/pdf/encoding-toplas-89.pdf)].    (06)

-hak
--