Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontologies and individuals

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Hans Polzer" <hpolzer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 15:05:48 -0500
John,    (01)

I wasn't taking the view that sharing a spatial-temporal extent (i.e., life
cycle) was a definition of an individual. That was Matthew's point, but I
can understand how using that criteria when faced with deciding whether two
or more observations of some "entity" in the real world were the same entity
or not is a reasonable approach. A lot of systems that detect objects in
their environment operate on that principle if the objects don't have
explicitly observable (and reliable) identifiers.    (02)

Having said that, I believe our discussion really centered around the
observation that what constitutes an individual is a function of context,
and whether that context requires individuation of entities described within
it. And if it does, the issue of how to identify the individual entities in
a way that is both detectable and sharable among parties that operate in
that shared context needs to be addressed. Furthermore, when operating with
parties in related but distinct contexts that treat those same entities at a
different level of aggregation, some means of relating the identities of
entities at these different levels of aggregation are required.  I suppose
this maps to named sets of individuals and named sets of sets, and so on.    (03)

We don't need to do this for all entities. For example, I would be surprised
if anyone wanted to individually identify each lump of coal in the bulk
cargo hold of a collier, even though the cargo shipment probably has an
identifier in some business context. Coal is consider a fungible commodity.
But every iPhone in the hold of a container ship, and every container and
pallets within each container will have a specific individual identifier.
And it's important in some contexts (but not all) to know which containers
have iPhones in them and which pallets are destined for which store or
distributor. Shouldn't ontologies describing such a commercial supply chain
include which entity types require identifiers for individual entity
instances? And describe which entity types with individual identities can
contain (or otherwise represent an aggregate of, as in the flight data
object example) other entity types whose instances have individual
identities? I'm obviously not conversant with set theory, but it seems to me
that this supply chain example requires naming sets so that they can be
treated as individuals in some contexts and as sets of individuals or of
other sets in other contexts.     (04)

Hans    (05)