Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontologies and individuals

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 11:56:49 -0000
Dear John,    (01)

> As I said in my previous note, a formal ontology is stated in logic.
> That logic embodies the total meaning of that ontology.    (02)

MW: That is not really true (as you know). The model theory also has a part
to play, i.e. the intended interpretation. It comes as a surprise to some
that the text definitions we give objects in an ontology are not part of the
formal semantics (what can be interpreted by computers) but is actually part
of the model theory, and tells you what these things were intended to
represent.    (03)

Regards    (04)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 1489 880185
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
Skype: dr.matthew.west
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (05)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (06)