Re: [ontolog-forum] Webby objects

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Amanda Vizedom <amanda.vizedom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 10:53:17 -0500
Sadly, John, some of us don't have to imagine this; we can remember it!

... it, or close variants in which, say, these groups are not in any single, identifiable department. And/or there isn't enough information flow between the groups to ignore...

*shakes head vigorously, returns gladly to the present*

Amanda

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 10:30 AM, John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 12/5/2012 10:52 AM, Rich Cooper wrote:
> Many of the things JFS has been saying in this topic thread relate to
> the separation of ontology from practice in IT.  I just read this
> Atlantic article on how imagined design is separated from practice in
> production.  It has a lot of analogous findings that may be more easily
> understood by ontologists in factory terms than in IT terms:
>
> http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/12/the-insourcing-boom/309166/?single_page=true

That's a good article.

Application to ontology:  You cannot separate the ontology of a system
from its design and implementation.

Imagine an IT department that had one group doing the architecture,
a second group doing the design, a third group doing the ontology,
and a fourth group doing the implementation.

There is only one way that department could produce a successful
system:  the chief implementer might have enough experience and
common sense to ignore the other three.

John