Re: [ontolog-forum] Universal Basic Semantic Structures

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Andries van Renssen" <andries.vanrenssen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 16:05:30 +0200
William and John,    (01)

When you state that a description relation and a classification relation are
synonymous, you imply that a classifying kind and a
description are the same.
The 'new pattern' as John calls it is a 'definition model', typically expressed
in a natural language, but possibly expressed as a
number of related kinds (in which model the classifying kind does not need to
be represented!).
The description (the model as a whole) and the kind (that is defined by the
model) are different things.
A classification relation relates a classified thing to a kind.
A description relation relates a described thing to a 'definition model'.    (02)

Another question is whether such a 'definition model' is by definition defining
the classifying kind, or whether a 'definition
model' might sometimes be specifying a described individual thing only.
You seem to take the position that a 'definition model' implicitly defines an
ad hoc kind (or an earlier recognized kind). That can
only be the case at the cost of a counter-intuitive definition of what a kind
is. Because it implies rather odd extrinsic kinds,
such as 'the thing to which I just pointed'. I consider the descrition a model
of 'an individual pointing activity' and not a model
of a 'kind of things to which is pointed by me just a moment ago'.    (03)

Andries    (04)