Re: [ontolog-forum] Truth

To: doug@xxxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 14:13:34 -0500

On Jul 11, 2012, at 9:08 AM, doug foxvog wrote:    (01)

> On Tue, July 10, 2012 14:29, Pat Hayes wrote:>

>>> It seems to me that he means that in certain contexts that name
>>> refers to that object, but in others it does not.
>
>> But there are no "contexts" in RDF or OWL or Common Logic, for that
>> matter. So I repeat, I have no idea what he means.
>
> Common Logic does not ban contexts.      (02)

None of these languages BAN contexts, but also none of them make explicit
provision for contextual relativity in their basic semantics. They are not
context *logics*. There is no provision in CL for the referent of any name to
vary with contexts. (By the way, IKL is also not a context logic in this sense.
The best way to describe it would be as a very expressive theory of contexts.
But IKL is just as context-free in its use of global names as CL is. In both CL
and IKL, the referent of every occurrence of a name is the same, no matter
where that name occurs. )    (03)

> In RDF, one could consider the graph
> in which a statement appears to be its context.    (04)

One could of course do whatever one chooses, but if the context is supposed to
modify or help determine what URIs refer to, then treating a graph as such a
context is explicitly prohibited by the RDF specification documents. So this
would not be legal, conformant, RDF.     (05)

> OWL is such a limited language that it is unable to implement contexts.    (06)

OWL is far more expressive than RDF.    (07)

>>> The scope (context) is not for the name, but for the name being a
>>> referent for a specific object.
>
>> The whole idea of URIs is that they are universal, ie they do not refer
>> differently in different contexts. That is what they are FOR.
>
> Pat, you signed off in the middle of a paragraph just before the example
> i provided!
>
> Do the URIs  .../PresidentOfIreland and .../KingOfNorway refer to the
> same thing in every context?    (08)

If we are talking about RDF, then yes, and the particular example is
irrelevant. RDF is based on the presumption that *every* URI refers to the same
thing *on every occasion of its use*. Put another way, that there simply are no
contexts for URi meanings. If you use a URI in some RDF, it had better not
depend on any context for its meaning, or else you had better make very sure
that any inferences made using RDF are made within that same "context". If you
choose the latter, I would be interested to know how you are able to keep
others from using your RDF in other "contexts" once you publish it on the Web.    (09)

>  Or would you disallow such URIs for
> individuals?  Would you require them (like EveningStar and MorningStar)
> to represent classes that could have one instance at one time, another
> instance at another time, and no instances at still other times?    (010)

I have no idea what these suggested examples are supposed to mean, frankly, so
I am not able to answer your question. I guess I don't know enough about Irish
or Norwegian history to know what  your point is here.    (011)

Pat    (012)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (014)