Re: [ontolog-forum] Estimating number of all known facts

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Chris Menzel <chris.menzel@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 18:23:57 +0200
On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 3:39 PM, Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Or, to sum up: there is no fact of the matter.

Why are we having to read this thread at all? Does having an answer to this unanswerable question actually matter? If so, why, and to whom?

I think the thread could be useful for showing three things: (1) That including facts in an ontology could be useful for some purposes; (2) that constructing a feasible theory of facts is a difficult and complex matter that requires a great deal of research, including a survey of a very large body of literature and, hence (3) that it's fun but largely a waste of time — vis-á-vis advancing the state of the art of ontological engineering — to spend a lot of time composing list emails reporting the results of one's private introspections regarding the meaning of the word "fact".

-chris