Re: [ontolog-forum] [ontology-summit] Estimating number of all known fac

To: Matthew West <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 11:48:57 -0500

On May 23, 2012, at 3:29 PM, Matthew West wrote:    (01)

> Dear John,
>
> It seems you have a different idea of what a fact is. I would take the facts
>as how things are in the world.    (02)

But what then counts as a (single) fact? One way things are (one way a thing
is?) in the world? And if these questions are meaningless, why do we speak of
"facts" in the plural? When Jack Webb said "Just give me the facts, Ma'am.",
what exactly was he asking for?     (03)

Pat    (04)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (06)