Re: [ontolog-forum] The symbol triangle, revised

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 15:52:02 -0400
On Wed, May 16, 2012 20:37, John Bottoms wrote:
> This is an interesting node.    (01)

> the draft intellectual property chapter of the Trans Pacific Partnership
> (TPP)    (02)

>http://issa.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=976:issa-releases-the-trans-pacific-partnership-intellectual-property-rights-chapter-on-keepthewebopencom&catid=63:2011-press-releases
=> "TRANS-PACIFIC PARTNERSHIP
=>  INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS CHAPTER
=>  DRAFT -- FEBRUARY 10, 2011 - Derived
=>
=>  CHAPTER [ ]
=>  INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
=>  . . .
=>  ARTICLE 2: TRADEMARKS, INCLUDING GEOGRAPHICAL INDICATIONS
=>  Trademarks
=>  1. No Party may require, as a condition of registration, that a sign be
=>  visually perceptible, nor may a Party deny registration of a trademark
=>  solely on the grounds that the sign of which it is
=>  composed is a sound or a scent."    (03)

How can this be done in conjunction with:    (04)

=>  2. Each Party shall provide that trademarks shall include
=>   certification marks.    (05)

How does one attach a "certification mark" to a sound or scent?    (06)

=> 4. ... the owner of a registered trademark shall have the ... right to
=>   prevent all third parties ... from using... identical or similar signs    (07)

How are "similar scents" or "similar sounds" defined?    (08)

If i trademark the scent of a rose, can i block anyone else from selling
a perfume that smells like a rose?    (09)

I note that the provision does not require that trademarks be limited to
the senses of sight, sound, and smell.  What about touch?  Can someone
trademark the texture of silk, the coolness of granite, the squishiness of
a foam rubber ball?    (010)

> A "scent". Does that mean what I think it means?
> Is that working appropriately correct?
> What is the basis for the identification of a scent?
> Should there be a universal scent repository, ontology schema or
> SCENT_UI so that everyone knows to which scent a statement refers?    (011)

Well, there must be an electronic database of scent trademark applications
and registrations:
=> 10. Each Party shall provide a:
=>    (a) system for the electronic application for, and electronic
=>         processing, registering, and maintenance of, trademarks; and
=>    (b) publicly available electronic database, including an online
database,
=>         of trademark applications and registrations.    (012)

Electronically filing sounds for trademark registration and providing a
publicly available database of sounds is easily done.  However, this
requires parties to provide a system for electronically registering scents
and electronically providing a database of applications for trademarks
of scents.    (013)

I suggest that states require that all submissions of trademarks for
scents be made electronically.  This would require that an ontology
of scents must be created and used, since arbitrary odors can not
(currently) be transmitted electronically.    (014)

-- doug foxvog    (015)