Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology of Commands

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 18:46:36 +0000
John,    (01)

I took some very ponderous courses in syllogistic logic before I was introduced
to symbolic logic, and I much prefer the latter.    (02)

Furthermore, most students today, I venture, do not take any of the trivium
(nor quadrivium) kinds of courses, except perhaps accidentally.    (03)

Thanks,
Leo    (04)

...    (05)

Leo
> We need to channel the good modeling intent and energy of neophytes
> into a better way of doing things.    (06)

I blame Bertrand Russell for the downfall of logic in the university
curriculum.  Every freshman from the 13th to the 19th century took
a course in logic that covered nearly everything that can be
expressed in OWL.  But Russell considered Aristotelian logic
a competitor.  He wanted universities to switch from Aristotle
to symbolic logic.    (07)

He got half his wish.  They stopped teaching Aristotle.
Now, very few students take any course on logic of any kind.    (08)

But even the logic courses focus more on math than on the issues
of mapping language to logic.  That's not much help for ontology.    (09)